Archive | Lower angle blade mount RSS for this section

3/9 update

Yesterday, I finished up the Main Linkage, and drilled the remaining holes in the Lower angle mount.

The finished Main Linkage (OK I still need to sand and freeze fit, but this only takes a few minutes)

I tried to saw off the extra material on the linkage, but ended up breaking 2 blades attempting to saw the material. I’ve determined I’m not strong enough to properly use it. Jimmy ended up cutting off most of it. I broke the last blade in the middle of a cut, so we had to torch off the remainder. (see video below)

Then I milled the rest of the material so it was 1 1/16″, to fit the cylinder. This took ~4 hours. Unfortunately, I didn’t open up the cylinder until I’d already machined it, and the opening between the ears was actually 1 3/16″, different than what the specs said. This pissed me off because I probably spent an extra hour machining off that material, because the specs lied. This taught me a┬ávaluable┬álesson– check materials which have been received for their specs. Don’t assume they match.

I also drilled and bored the hole for the cylinder mount. See the video below about the difficulties I had mag-drilling the material.

Also, I finally ordered the fastener from Bolt Depot.

On an unrelated note, I just sold a $350 bookshelf, so many of my recent money worries are over! Might take a bit of time away from fabrication, but I can afford gas for another month!! I’d been in a bookshelf slump for all of Februrary, and had only sold $55 worth of merchandise. I have enough saved to last a few more months, but lack of income scares the pants off me. Huge weights have been lifted from my shoulders.


3/8 update

I finished putting the holes in the Lower Flat Mount today, as well as drilled the holes for mounting the blade for the angle blades. See the photos and video below.

I’m going to wait to weld the table and angle support on until I have the machine assembled. I may need to machine away some of the mount to make proper clearance for the blades. Waiting insures machining will be much, much easier. Also, its either machining that, or machining the upper arm more, which is very un-desirable.

I broke the blade trying to cut the linkage today. Purchased more, and will try again today. If I’m successful, I’ll machine the rest of the main linkage and be done with it tomorrow.

I’m also ready to start on the lower arm! I’ll start by mag-drilling the holes for the linkage pin holder, and main pin holder.



Transfer punching the holes for mounting the blade