Slitting saw 3
I ended up destroying the arbor. It happened because I damaged the threads while drilling out a bit. Instead of drilling out the bit, I should have been using an extractor. I went out and bought the right sized extractor friday. I also ordered a new arbor, coming from Mc-master carr today.
I tried to fix it by welding up a portion of the stripped threads and re-threading them, but somehow, the drill came out really off centered, despite me using a lathe to get the perfect center.
At one point a drill bit broke when I was drilling out a broken bolt. This proved difficult to remove. I figured the easiest way would be to drill through the other side of the arbor so I could punch out the bit from the other side. Since the arbor is made of hardened tool steel, regular drill bits won’t drill through it. I had to borrow my uncle’s carbide tipped bit to drill through it. After this, the bit was easy to punch out with a transfer punch.
I also shattered one of the blades. Luckily, it was a 3″ diameter blade which already had a chip. I’m not entirely sure what led it to shatter, but it could have been because the piece moved somehow. Apparently I didn’t clamp it down well enough. Either way, it shattered just before I began cutting- I was easing the blade into the slit which was already made, and as soon as I hit it, it must have shattered. This is a good reason to wear safety glasses. I was very lucky none of the chunks hit me, because it virtually exploded.
After it was shattered, there were a few chunks of the blade lodged in the slit I was cutting. Unfortunately, they were stuck tight, so I couldn’t remove them easily. I had to make another slit to that depth a little above the first slit. I made sure to give the first slit a little clearance, as if the blade I was using hit the broken blade, it could break the new blade. After this, I pryed the thin layer between the two cuts upwards, which made extracting the piece easy.