Status Update

I’ve been slacking on my updates. Honestly, its cause I don’t have much meat to show for it.

But I accomplished a lot last week! I assembled the lower arm with Ian, and torched and bored the holes in the upper arm. I also discovered the wonder of slitting saws and ordered a blade and an arbor for one. I’ll be using that and mag-drills to remove the material from the blade mount, instead of the gas saw. That should arrive some time today.

I also realized that piranha sent me the wrong “Angle knife blocks”. They sent me the ones for a P50, which are 5/8″ thick, not 1″. This is frustrating, because I will have to wait a week or so before I receive them, and will likely have finished all other tasks, so progress will be blocked. I need to wait until I receive the new ones before I’ll know what I need to machine for the angle blade. However, Piranha agreed to take back the wrong ones and send the right ones. Its a wonderful thing, too, because the new ones are $34 and the others were $48.

There’s little to be done before shipping the machine to Factor e Farm. Once the upper arm is assembled, I’m shipping it there, and will finish the final steps there. The final steps are making the tables and clamps for the angle shear, flat shear, and punch table. Basically, before shipping, I need to:

  • machine the blade mounts on the upper arm (2-4 days)
  •  freeze fit the upper arm bushings (a couple hours)
  •  drill the holes for the blade mounts (a couple hours)
  • Drill and tap holes for mounting dovetail/punch pusher ( <1 day, could prove difficult because of location.
  • drill/torch hole in the lower arm for the vertical linkage (a couple hours)
  • install upper arm. (who knows? a day?)
I expect to be done with this in 1.5-2 weeks.

Boring Thursday and Friday

I’ve finished boring the holes in the upper arm. This means NO MORE BORING. It took a good portion of thursday and friday

All holes bored!

to get that finished. I had been having a lot of trouble with breaking bits and assumed that for some reason the 3″ plate had gotten harder than the other pieces when torched.  What was really the problem is that I didn’t lock down the cutter, so as I was boring, the blade was slowly moving deeper into the material, causing the blades to break.

The reason this wasn’t a problem before is that that lock was initially tight, but Jimmy had to use the bore, so he loosened it for what he was doing. He usually faces the blade towards the dial to adjust the blade. When you do this, the blade cannot travel outwards, only inwards. I, however, face the blade outwards, because you get 3x more travel on it, which is necessary for boring the big holes. Once I realized this, and tightened the lock, it went much smoother.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: